Friday, August 21, 2009

I Heart Restaurant Week.

Every August I get so excited about one thing. Not the hot weather! Restaurant week. It's so delish! I get to try out restaurants that I wouldn't normally go to eat. Who can afford these places??

My first restaurant this year was Pappa Bros. Steakhouse. I always try to hit up a steak place every year because I do love the filet mignon. In the past, I've tried Nick & Sam's, McCormick & Schmidt's, Del Frisco, and III Forks. I had heard of Pappa Bros., but, it was never on the top of my list. I mean, it's the same people who own Pappasito's and Pappadeaux. They are great casual places, but, I am interested in some serious steak. However, I have recently noticed in some magazines that Pappa Bros. has replaced Bob's in the list of "Top Steakhouses in the U.S." That got my attention. I haven't had the opportunity to try Bob's yet, but, always heard it was the top steakhouse in Dallas. After dining at Pappa Bros., I don't know how Bob's could even compete.

Tomas and I arrived for our 7:30pm reservation at 7:10pm and were seated right away (traffic was non-existent which never happens). It was a happening spot for a Thursday evening, but, it is restaurant week. We chatted with our waiter for a few minutes and ordered a glass of wine. After placing our order, we sat back to wait for our first course. I also perused the wine list because the waiter left it on the table. Of course, I have to look for the most expensive bottle of wine. $52,000. That's right..for one bottle. We just laughed and put the menu aside. Our salads arrived and tasted scrumptious. Tomas ordered the house salad with vinaigrette and I had the caesar. Heads down - we scarfed the salads. Didn't even speak. The dressings were perfect on both salads and not oversaturated.

Then, the steaks arrived. Tomas had the New York Strip and I had the filet. I have no words. Every bite was heaven. I have never had a steak so tasty in my life. I cut the bites smaller than normal so I would be able to enjoy every morsel. Tomas thought his steak was pretty good until he tried mine. I believe he said, "Wow, that's even better than mine." The mashed potatoes were perfectly done, too. They had just enough lumpiness to make them perfect. The asparagus that we ordered additional looked like it had been injected with steroids - they were that plump.

Saved the greatness for last: dessert. I ordered the Chocolate peanut butter cake and he got the key lime pie. I was afraid that the cake may be too much chocolate and too dark/bitter for me, but, I was wrong. It was fluffy with layers of peanut butter mousse. Doesn't that sound delicious? Oh yeah, they drizzled chocolate sauce on top and threw in some peanut brittle chunks. The key lime pie was fresh, tart, and heavenly. I wanted to lick the plate to get all the cream sauce, but, had to settle for using the fruit on the sides to get it all up.

After all that - we left by 8:15pm. Seriously, how did that happen? We were not rushed at all and were in/out of a steak place in one hour. Even better!

I actually get to try TWO steak places this year. Monday is Steve Field's Steak and Lobster. I wonder if it will be up to par. I'll let you know!

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

Wait, you ordered something chocolate/peanut butter? That doesn't sound right. :)

I thought the same thing about Pappas Bros...Pappasito's...no thank you. Maybe I'll have to give it a try.

Megan said...

Oh heaven...chocolate/peanut butter?! I want to go right now just for that.