Monday, August 10, 2009

Sweet and Cranky

Sweet and Cranky Old Lady. That's my girl. After 14 1/2 years, Sweet Boo had to be put down this past weekend. It's been hard to imagine my life when I didn't have her. She has moved nine times with me, had seven human roommates and five cat roommates (plus a short time with those pesky annoying other animals...dogs).

Whew, no wonder she was cranky all the time.

My sister was the initial owner of Boo. She went to a pet store with a friend and Boo reached through her cage and grabbed a hold of her hair. The pet store owner told Kris that Boo was the runt of the liter and nobody wanted her. Sucker. She brought her home and the rest is history. I inherited her after Kris moved to Dallas and then went to the dark side and brought home dogs. She does NOT like dogs and makes it very clear they are not allowed in her domain.

Some other fun memories and things that I'll miss:

Teresa told us that one time when she went to check on her, when Kris and I were out of town, she walked into our apartment and there was Boo, swinging from the curtains.

She used to run sideways when she was a kitten. Not sure why and when she grew out of it, but, used to crack me up.

How much she hated riding in the car. She'd last about 10 minutes and then vomit. She also whined and meowed the entire ride. The move from San Marcos to Dallas was a very long trip with her.

Greeting me at the door when I came home. Instead of being excited to see me (like some other "animals" would be) she would yell at me. You could almost hear the "Where have you been? Why are you just now getting home?"

Leaving "surprises" for me on my bed when I went out of town. She did not like it when I was gone for too long and made sure that I knew it.

Not being able to close my bedroom door for 14 years. She would have none of that. She would bang on the door and scream until you let her in or out. Her highness must be able to go from room to room as she chose.

Only petting her head. She did not allow people to pet her anywhere else. You could almost lose a digit for trying....as Tom discovered.

Yummy chicken. She would go nuts if you even opened a package of chicken.

She has had many names: Boo, Miss Boo, Boo Boo, Pooper (don't know where that came from), and Sweet Girl.

Here's a picture from the early days of Nac. I think it was taken around 2am after I worked at Mazzio's all night...I look terrible, but, she is mad at being held. She was not a cuddler.



I will miss you, Sweet Girl!

9 comments:

RobinBrant said...

I am not going to lie, I have teared up several times this weekend thinking about going over to your house and Ms. Boo not being there. She was such a funny girl, and I will miss her very much.

Meri said...

That is so sad! I'm sorry!

Kerri Butler said...

I'm so sorry ! Anything I can do?

elizabeth said...

Such a crotchety old lady. :) She will be missed!

The Yates Family said...

Jennifer, I am so sorry for your loss. It is very difficult to lose a pet, they are an important part of your family!

Unknown said...

My favorite memory of her is when she stole my socks from inside my shoes and took them to your room.

Susie said...

Jen, my heart goes out to you. Is is like losing a member of your family. ((Hugs))

Megan said...

I can't imagine going to see you and not seeing her! I'm so sorry Jen. She was well loved her whole life, well done friend.

Unknown said...

OK, here are MY Boo memories (however short they were).

When she jumped into the tub with me as I was preparing to rinse off after pool time. A cat who liked water?

How she could have an actual conversation with me all in CAT.

When she would all of a sudden become so sweet and lovey if you were eating on the couch and she wanted some.

The way she banged her head into the cabinets so you always knew she was down at your feet..thump, thump, thump..PET or FEED me or GET OUT of my way!

Although she first hissed at me when we met, she then let me pet her anywhere, tummy was always risky, though..

Whenever she'd stick her paw under the door just to show who was boss--LOOK! I AM in the room, sucka!

The way she always strategically positioned her head right by your hand so you got the hint to pet her continuously.

How she sounded almost human crying before she puked on your bed.

The time she sat up with me all night when I stayed over and felt sick.

My nickname for her was Kitty-pie and for me there will never be another.

RIP Boo, I'll miss you.