Tuesday, May 26, 2009

California Sun!






We were off to the California beaches for Memorial Day weekend. Tom and I went with Barbie and Larry to Malibu for a long weekend and stayed at my Granny's beach house in Malibu. There is nothing better than free lodging!

We started out Thursday doing some sight-seeing in L.A. We hit Sunset Blvd, Grauman's Chinese Theatre, the Kodak Theatre, Hollywood Walk of Stars, went to a rehearsal at CBS Studios for "Real Time with Bill Maher", and finished up at Venice Beach. It was a packed day of weird/hilarious people watching and ended with some serious tasty beverages at Duke's.

Friday - had lunch with my Granny, took naps, and then saw Star Trek. I loved it! What I didn't love? $15 per freaking ticket!!!! Two people + tickets, popcorn and drinks = $50. Wow, Malibu is seriously expensive.

Saturday - went to Paradise Cove for breakfast and had a yummy breakfast. Serious people watching there. We sat next to a freakish couple who were not afraid to talk about their sex life, doing it on the beach, getting tattoos of their family members on their bodies, and ordering Vodka on the Rocks at 9:30am. Wow. After that fun stuff, we got some Miller Lite and headed to Zuma beach for some sun. A little bit of info: it is illegal to have beer or cigarettes on the beach. We didn't know that and got a "talking to" from the beach patrol on their 4 wheelers. Luckily, they found our Texas accents adorable and let us off with a warning. After our brush with the law, we decided to move our party back to the condo. We ended our day grilling, playing Phase 10 (Larry is the new King of the game), and consuming more beer. I think we all reached our limit of beer drinking this weekend.


Sunday - we went to pick up my aunt for breakfast and ended up calling 911. She boards horses on her property and one of the riders was kicked off their horse and kicked around a bit. Luckily, it looked like a 'minor' injury, according to my aunt. I'm not sure I'd call a broken rib and wrist, minor, but, that's my aunt for ya. Before we headed to the airport, we watched a few episodes of "Top Gear". Hilarious show, if you haven't seen it.

After all that, here are some photos. Enjoy!



Our view from the condo:


One of the major reasons we headed to Sunset - we wanted to see The Viper Room.




I'm a celebrity nerd, as you know. It's Hyde Lounge!!



An example of the interesting people on Venice Beach:


Venice beach:


Barbie and Larry - not prepared for the freezing ocean water:




We went to In-N-Out Burger for lunch. YUM!



Jealous??


Look, it's the Hollywood sign!!




Barbie after two bottles of wine:




Another example of drunkenness:


Barbie and Larry on Zuma Beach:


Me and Senor at Zuma:





4 comments:

RobinBrant said...

The picture of drunken Barbie is definitely a classic.

Megan said...

It looks like a great trip! Love the McD's towel...classic.

Unknown said...

By the way, you helped me drink those two bottles of wine. So, I would like to think that's me after a bottle of wine.

elizabeth said...

I can't decide if I'm more jealous you had In-N-Out Burger or that you played Phase 10. :) Fun trip!