Monday, October 26, 2009

Another Triathlon....Really?





Another triathlon. Silly, isn't it? I can't help myself. I can pretty much get talked into anything, I guess.

Since I did that triathlon in July, Tom decided that he wanted to do one. We had a bunch of people who wanted to compete, but, when it came down to it...it was me, Tom, and Larry. Pansies!

We "camped" Saturday night in Barbie and Larry's RV in Grapevine. The tri was in Keller so we thought we'd stay in the RV and get to sleep a little later. What we didn't count on was the drinking Saturday night. We tried to not overdue it since we were racing the next day, but, tasty beverages were enjoyed a little too much (ahem...Barbie). Even though wine and beer were consumed, we still made it on time for the race.

Started with a 300 meter swim in a pool. Would not recommend for anyone looking to do a triathlon. They let one person start every five seconds. I waited in line for 40 minutes!! Annoying! Why did I get up so dang early? Plus, a lake is crowded, but, you have room to swim. This was six laps in a pool. At every turn, it was a crowded mess.

Then, to the bike: 12 miles total. Two six mile loops. Hilly and windy. Yuck.

Last was the 3 mile run. You know how I feel about running. GGRR.

Here's the big story of the day: my goal was to finish the swim and bike without being passed by Tom or Larry. There were starting behind me in the swim so I thought that I could get a good head start and keep my lead. I knew that I would be passed in the run (as I hate to run) so I gave my all for the swim and bike. When I was in the transition area after the bike and heading out to the run...I spotted Tom putting his bike up and getting ready for his run. I thought to myself "Crap, get moving, Jen!" So, off I went and happy as a clam because I made it to the run without being passed by them. Barbie spots me and starts cheering and I say "Tom is right behind me, but, I haven't seen Larry yet." She responds "Oh, Larry is already on the run." WHAT????? Oh, I was pissed! No way!!!! Tom catches up with me about 30 seconds later (told you I was a slow runner) and I tell him that Larry is already on the run. He agrees that was weird and said Larry never passed him either. Aha! I knew it!!! Remember earlier when I said it was two six mile loop? Larry CHEATED. He only did one loop. That kept me going the rest of the run. I was ready at the finish line to give him hell. After my tongue-lashing, Larry admitted that he got confused and only did one lap. I took his medal away from him.

Not really...but, it sounded like something I would do, doesn't it?








Larry coming out of the pool area after his swim. He didn't want me to post this picture so I colored in a shirt for him.

Tom running his little heart out.



Me, at the finish. I was ready for it to be over.





2 comments:

RobinBrant said...

Nice work, Ninny!

Unknown said...

I love the colored in shirt on Larry.