Monday, July 13, 2009

Getting ready for the Tri...

Next Sunday is the big triathlon. Kris and I have been extremely freaked about the swimming portion. It's 500 yards in the lake. I do not swim in lakes. Gross.

The sponsors had a free clinic this past weekend for the beginners - to give them pointers and help them get over their fears. We were SO glad we went to it. We got to go through the entire course and see what we're going to be up against.

Surprisingly, the swim was the easiest part. We swam in a small group so I'm sure I'll still have some troubles on Sunday when I'm swimming with 125 people in my heat. But, overall, the swimming was not bad. I think we had built it up to be so huge that our anxiety level was through the roof. We were completely relieved when we finished because A. we didn't drown, B. we didn't feel any kelp/seaweed and C. couldn't see anything in the water and were okay with it.

The biking was tough...of course, I haven't been on my bike since the MS ride in May. Um, not even to a spin class. Good one, Jen. Big hills, hot temperatures and not enough water did not make the bike ride fun. My chain fell off at the top of a hill that I went up at 4 mph. But, I didn't get off my bike like the lady in front of me did so I was successful there.

The run portion was just funny. I was so dehydrated by the time I got to the run that I ran about 25 feet and said "Screw this." and just walked the rest of it. It was so hot by that time, it was just ridiculous.

So, I'll be doing a little running, swimming, and spin class, hopefully this week to prepare. Wish me luck!

My small world sighting: Mike and Mimi Ostrom from the Ol' Heritage days were at the triathlon clinic. They are doing another tri so they won't be at the race this weekend.

4 comments:

RobinBrant said...

Have you ever left your house without running into someone?

Megan said...

I hope that Tom will be the photographer for the event this weekend :)You will dominate, just stay hydrated please!

Jennifer said...

Robin - No, I always run into someone.

Megan - Me in a swimsuit? I think the cameras will be left at home. :)

elizabeth said...

Haha...of course you ran into someone you know! Good luck this weekend!!!